These days gaming enthusiasts are spoilt for choice. There are countless games available to download with a simple click of a button.
It is a booming industry with solid competition, yet a few classic games stay ahead of the game, growing in popularity day by day. Garry’s Mod is one of those games that remains a favorite among gamers, young and old alike.
- What Is Garry’s Mod?
- How Do You Play Garry’s Mod?
- Stock Tools of Garry’s Mod
- Camera, Physics, and Tool Gun
- Face Poser, Paint, and Camera Tool
- Thruster, Wheel, Color, and Material Tool
- Magnetize and Dynamite Tool
- Balloon Gun, Spawn Menu, and Weld Tool
- How Do You Download Garry’s Mod?
- Tips for Succeeding in Garry’s Mod
- The Garry’s Mod Community
What Is Garry’s Mod?
Garry’s Mod, often also called GMod, started as a modification for Half-Life 2, but its popularity became a game in itself.
It is a sandbox-style game, which means there isn’t a goal to achieve to win.
Instead, players use the physics of the game to change objects.
There are several different game models, all with their styles and objectives, of which the most recent lease is version 13.
Why Are People Playing it?
GMod fans love that they can manipulate the objects in the game, ending in interesting results more often than not.
In addition, it is a game that can be played in single-player and multiple-player modes, making it possible to share the experience with friends, too.
How Do You Play Garry’s Mod?
Since it is a sandbox-style game and there isn’t a winning goal at the end of the game, the game aims to have fun with the game’s physics.
Therefore once you have successfully chosen your map, you are free to enjoy the game.
Below are the steps to starting the game with ease.
- From your desktop icon, start Garry’s Mod. If you have access to Steam, you can start the game from your games library.
- Once you see the main menu, select the new game option.
- Select the map you want to start with.
- Click to start the game and have fun.
The Defaults of Garry’s Mod
Knowing the defaults on any game helps get into the game faster and ensures a more enjoyable experience.
The defaults for Garry’s Mod are as below.
- Moving around: W, A, S, and D keys
- Looking around or aiming at something: Press W and move your mouse
- Firing a weapon or using a tool: Clicking or holding your left mouse button
- Selected weapon or tool control: Clicking or holding your right mouse button
- Reloading your weapon or using a tool from your Tool Gun: R key
- Opening your spawn menu: Q key (Hold the key as long as you need to look at the menu because once you release the Q key, the spawn menu disappears.)
- Toggling your menu: F1
- Flying around: V key
- Sprinting or increasing your flying speed: Left shift key
- Crouching or decreasing flying speed: Left control key
- Flashlight: F key – Flashlight
Stock Tools of Garry’s Mod
When it comes to online gaming, the tools are the most crucial part of the game. Garry’s Mod is no exception, as the tools offer several elements of the gamer’s map.
Ball Socket Tool – A ball socket tool creates joints that act as a ball and socket, allowing objects to rotate and pivot in any possible direction.
Rope Tool – A rope tool allows the player to place a rope between two areas. The player can also set the width of the rope and select its look.
Axis tool – An axis tool designs a rotation point where one object will rotate around another.
The pulley tool offers players the ability to move objects along by using pulley rope in the same way pulleys work.
Using the pulley tool requires more work than other tools, but a pulley tool can be up and running in three simple steps. Below are the steps.
- Choose the object you want to be moved.
- Anchor the constraints for the rope to pass through.
- Select the other end of the constraint, and voila, your pulley is moving.
Camera, Physics, and Tool Gun
The camera gun makes it possible for the player who is using it to take screenshots of the game with a simple left click of the mouse.
After the screenshot has been taken, the gamer can zoom in or tilt the photo using the right click on the mouse.
The physics gun makes it possible for gamers to manipulate objects as well as rotating and freezing them.
A tool gun is exactly what it sounds like. It is a gun that offers several tools to the players.
It used to be only a crossbow tool gun, but the game has been expanding to more outstanding tool guns with a great variety of tools.
Face Poser, Paint, and Camera Tool
Players collect ragdolls as they play the game. The face poser tool allows the gamer to change and adjust the faces of the ragdolls in the game.
A paint tool is a gun that offers players the option to paint details in their game, including blood (both human and alien), drops of beer, and bird poop.
The player can paint on any surface, including the walls, ragdolls, and map objects.
Not to be confused with the camera gun, a camera tool gives the player a camera that can shift the player’s view to any place that the camera is faced.
Thus, it makes it possible for the player to see the world through the camera’s eyes.
Thruster, Wheel, Color, and Material Tool
A thruster tool allows the player to attach several thrusters to walls or objects. The player can then control them with the number-pad.
A wheel tool makes it possible for the player to attach wheels that rotate to anything in the game. After the player has created the wheel, the player can control the wheels’ directions and speed.
A color tool makes it possible for players to alter the colors of objects or walls.
A material tool gives players the option to change the textures of selected objects.
Players can use the color and material tools together to create a wide range of colors and textures.
Magnetize and Dynamite Tool
A magnetize tool makes it possible for players to convert any object into magnets. These magnets can attach to any ragdoll.
The tool also has the added feature of making props that are breakable, unbreakable.
It can also remove constraints from props, and frozen props can be unfrozen.
A dynamite tool allows a player to create dynamite that is remote and be discharged with a key on the keyboard.
The player gets to choose how extreme the explosion will be.
Balloon Gun, Spawn Menu, and Weld Tool
A balloon gun makes it possible for players to attach balloons to things in the game. Furthermore, the player can alter the movement force of the balloon.
A spawn menu is a handy tool for gamers because it allows the player to spawn things into the map that the player is using.
A player can get access to a large selection of physical props, including furniture and ragdolls.
A weld tool gives the player the ability to weld two things together. For example, a player can also use it to weld something to a wall.
The result is two objects being permanently tied together, and therefore becoming one.
How Do You Download Garry’s Mod?
The great news for anyone who wants to give Garry’s Mod a try is that the game is available for free on the Stream Store website.
Downloading and installation require a few steps but can be done quickly if followed correctly.
Here are the steps for downloading Garrys’ Mod.
- Download the game from the Stream Store website
- Create a steam account after launching the client. If you prefer, you can also create an account on the site directly.
- Log into your new account.
- You’ll see Garry’s Mod version 9.0.4 is free on the site. You can install it now.
How to Install the Game
Now that you have downloaded the game, here is how you install it.
- The game’s installation will default to your Steam folder. It is crucial to leave it in the Steam folder. If you delete it, it won’t show up on your games library.
- When you access your games library, select tools. Find the source marked “Source SDK Base 2006,” and click right to install it.
- Now go to the installation folder, “SteamAppssourcemodsgmod9”. It is the installation folder for Garry’s Mod.
- Find Gameinfo.txt, and open it.
- The SteamAppId value needs to be changed to 215. After changing the value, save the file and close it.
- You are ready to launch Garry’s Mod. Enjoy the game!
Tips for Succeeding in Garry’s Mod
Even though Garry’s Mod doesn’t have such strong end goals when it comes to winning the game as other games do, players always enjoy striving in their favorite game.
Here are a few tips for getting to the top of your game in the construction section.
- It is beneficial to use the No Collide tool when you are preventing your creations from spazzing.
- If you require a floating device, vending machines float surprisingly well.
Tips for General Playing
Here are some of the best tips for playing the game.
- Use the camera tool when you take screenshots or film movies.
- You can create buttons that will allow fellow players to use your creations. Sharing is caring.
- When using weapons and tools, take care not to smash yourself.
- If you want to create a disco, the lights tool is what you need to use. If you’re going to take your disco a step further and create a disco ball, you can do so by putting lights on a wheel after you have attached it to the ceiling. Make your wheel invisible for that extra wow factor.
The Garry’s Mod Community
The game has a large and loyal community. The community continues to grow even more, with several forum servers and websites creating small support communities.
The creator of Garry’s Mod, Garry Newman, runs the official Garry’s Mod community on a platform called FacePunch Studios.
Garry’s Mod 9 had a very successful launch, and it received three awards for Mod of the Year. The awards were as below.
- PC Mod of the Year awarded by GameSpy: received in 2005
- Best Mod awarded by PCGamer US: received in 2005
- Mod of the Year awarded by ModDB: received in 2006
Is Garry’s Mod Kid-Friendly?
Garry’s Mod is suitable for kids 11 years and older.
The game isn’t overly complicated and has no violence, making it a game that tweens can enjoy.
Whether you are new to the game, or an old hand, it is clear that Garry’s Mod is a game that still offers fun and games for all online gamers.